Photo courtesy of Jennifer Davick
Frosted Sugar and Spice Cookies just in time for the 4th of July!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- White frosting
- Red and blue sprinkles
- Stir together first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat butter and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add cream cheese, orange zest, and vanilla; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Divide dough in half, shaping into 2 flattened disks. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 dough disk on a floured surface. Roll to 1/4-inch thickness; cut with a 4-inch star-shaped cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining dough disk.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or just until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- Spread cookies with a thin layer of Simple White Frosting; top with sprinkles.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 5. Freeze cookies in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic freezer bag up to 1 month. Thaw completely at room temperature before icing.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons milk, divided
- Beat butter, salt, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 3 Tbsp. milk at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar and milk.